Have you ever thought that maybe the biggest obstacle stopping you from reaching your goals is you? It’s true: There are other roadblocks besides yourself that could be the blame. After all there is never enough time in the day, you need more money to do the things you want, and tasty deserts always seem to pop up at the office when you’re trying to practice self-control. So yes, there are those things.
Sometimes you can do everything in your power to get promoted, step out your comfort zone, or work on your side hustle, but life gets in the way. Depending on the day, you can be anywhere between pushing forward or taking a few steps back.
So when the negative thoughts come in your head and you feel yourself pulling away from your dreams, ask yourself where is it coming from: Fear? Fatigue? Discomfort? Lack of focus? It’s human to feel discouraged sometimes. But you have to push the negative thoughts out of the way and keep it moving.
Here’s how you move forward:
- Excuse yourself on the days you just need a “do over”.
- Listen to constructive criticism from those who care for you.
- Plan carefully and adjust when something isn’t working.
- Make small steps towards your professional and personal goals each day.
- Have that nervous breakdown if it will make you feel better (then move on!).
- Focus on what (or who) makes your heart smile.
- Trust that you are exactly where you need to be.
You work hard in your career so that you can have a life you love. Building your personal brand is not just about feeling accomplished; it’s about having a job that pays well and enjoying all aspects of your life so that you can be the best version of yourself. On the days you feel like giving up, remember the raise you deserve. The house you want to buy. The dream location you want to visit. The business you want to own.
Remember that there are some things in life you just won’t be able to control. But you can control your actions and kick down doors like you’re a member of a SWAT team. Own your brand. Disown the noise. And for goodness sake, get out of your own way.
Latest posts by Marietta Gentles Crawford (see all)
- Book Anniversary, Quitting + The Courage to Follow Your Dreams - May 10, 2018
- How to Fall Back Into Your Groove (And Survive the Rest of the Year) - October 17, 2017
- What I Learned About Slowing Down From a Taxi Driver - August 24, 2017